The dilemma we face is not the budget, but something very much deeper.
As Treasurer, Joe Hockey has selected the correct strategy. Why aren’t people buying it? Perhaps it is because the tactical approach has been lacking.
The reason is that less than half of the populace can recognise that there are problems. Fewer than that agree on the nature of the problems. Only excellent leadership can overcome these two issues, and it takes time and communication.
Intuitively, the populace is aware that we are living in a fools’ paradise. Without that collective understanding, the result of last September’s election would have been vastly different. However, there is no consensus as to the root causes of our problems, or the nature of the necessary solutions.
Perhaps one of the underlying problems with our system of government is that a mere three years is an insufficient period to lead and steer the change. Nevertheless, it is the responsibility of the leadership of any organisation to do so, and a government is elected to provide that leadership.
I have over the past forty five years or so been witness to, and a part of in later years, significant organisational change. I have been witness to unsuccessful as well as successful attempts at organisational change, and there is a very distinct process that must be followed. If the process begins too late, or if it is hurried and pushed too hard, or if the consensus is not carefully nurtured and grown within the grass roots of the organisation, the attempted change will be a failure. The process is like peeling an onion. It can proceed only if the layers are peeled off one at a time. The sequence of these layers is problem definition, establishing consensus of this definition, establishing agreement of the existing condition, establishing a vision of the organisation following change, and defining the changes that must take place to arrive at the new vision.
If we are to find salvation from the train wreck which is in our future if we continue down this track, leadership must first discover the means to identify root cause. It then must convince the vast majority that these problems are real and that it is in the interest of everyone to see the change through. This can be done only through the facilitation of discussion among those who are affected; the entire populace.
So what do I consider to be “root cause”? Let’s take a crack at defining those fundamental issues.
- Hockey started out with talking about the “age of entitlement” and the fact that our structural deficits most certainly lead towards a zombie economy a la Greece, Spain, Ireland. However he did not garner the support of his own caucus. The entire elected Coalition establishment should have been encouraging this discussion at every single opportunity. The audit report was the ideal vehicle on which to carry this discussion. However, the discussion didn’t take place.
- Corruption and the lack of responsibility and accountability in government. The Hayden Royal Commission is the ideal vehicle for this discussion. However, only a few of us seem to be interested in its findings. News limited seems to be the only organisation that tells people the findings, other than the blogosphere. The ABC has a responsibility in this regard. Surely, if Australia is to have a national broadcaster, it should be made to uphold its charter. There can be only one reason that the ABC was not reorganised in October, and that reason is treason in the form of Turnbull.
- Disinformation and propaganda disseminated from other public sector organs such as the CSIRO and the BOM. A new broom should have been heavily applied to the management of these mouthpieces of the left last Spring as well. The AGW hoax needs to be exposed, and with a great deal of fanfare. THIS is the current “State of the Climate” for the USA, and the situation is identical for OZ:
- The US is currently experiencing the longest stretch of years (almost 9) without a major (category 3-5) hurricane strike.
- US tornadoes have been record low, or near record low for the past three years
- Global temperatures have been flat for 18 years
- US temperatures (before data tampering) have been declining for 90 years
- Winter snow cover has been increasing across the northern hemisphere, to record levels over the past decade.
- The amount of old thick ice in the Arctic has nearly doubled over the past three years
- Antarctic sea ice is at record high levels
- The US is having one of the coldest years on record.
- Except for the west coast, the US is almost drought and fire free this summer.
The fact that the BOM has been ‘adjusting’ temperatures is a matter of record. An honest audit of the procedures that established the HQ and ACORN databases would expose this in its entirety. Exposure of the costs associated with this hoax would most certainly make an impact on voters.
- Immigration policy since 2006 has brought a plethora of problems. There is no need for descending into the depths of racial or religious bashing. However, it is painfully obvious that a sovereign nation must maintain the right to decide who is allowed to immigrate and who is not. It is not particularly difficult to understand that the criteria must be matched to the skillsets required by the community, and that the attitudes and cultural norms of immigrants should match or at least augment the current norms. Anything else is simply begging for issues, and there are plenty of examples to call upon in European countries.
Perhaps if a specific administration is to govern for three or more terms, the first term needs to focus on building consensus regarding the existence of problems, and the definition of root cause.
The current government has not been able to do so because it has its hands tied behind its back. There is scope within the existing system to deal with taxpayer funded organisations which include the ABC, the BOM, and the CSIRO (to mention a few) without going hat in hand to the senate.
In fact the entire public service is heavily infiltrated by the forces of evil, put in place by such cretins as Gillard, Roxon, Emerson, Combet and the rest of the Kremlin inspired mafia. A clean-out of the Fair work Commission, and the ACCC, for instance, with replacement management that is not intent on reckless abandon, is the responsibility of the government in power and does not require the blessing of an incompetent and ignorant senate.
For the Commonwealth, I think historians will consider that September 2013 we had hope for a better future. By foolishly blowing that chance by listening to an egotistical blowhard called Palmer, the populace blew that chance. It was probably the last chance before economic annihilation and subservience to the Unelected Undemocratic totalitarian UN New World Order.